Built in 1962 with loans from the Housing and Home Finance Administration during President Frank E. Duddy's presidency (1956 to 1963), Carleson is named in honor of the Harry E. and Fred A. Carleson families who provided furnishings for the hall. Renovated in the mid-1990's, Carleson Hall is one of two freshmen residence halls on campus (the other is Hogle Hall). Students live in traditional-style rooms with one roommate and shared bathroom facilities. The Halls also have laundry rooms, 24-hour security, Internet access in each room, and recreation rooms.
Access to the START Center (garden level) is down the south patio ramp and through the south door.