Take the first step to a career with life-long rewards--study education at Westminster!
Westminster's School of Education prepares you for a rewarding future in teaching. The Education program is highly respected by principals and school district personnel because our graduates are well-prepared for the challenges and rewards of teaching. We offer a practical and rigorous blend of theory and experience in schools.
Advantages of our unique environment for learning.
Inspiring professors. With our student to faculty ration of 10:1, you will find every member of our faculty approachable and always willing to help you to acheive your individual academic and career goals. The methods professors are exemplary teachers with many years of experience in the schools and in preparing new teachers.
Extensive and Diverse field experiences. One of the strengths of our program is the multiple field experiences that each student completes before student teaching. You will be placed in a variety of school settings with veteran mentor teachers. And every placement is fully supported by our faculty who provide you with constructive feedback every step of the way.
Partnership program. We help you to establish personal and professional relationships with in-service teachers who serve as mentors during field experiences.
Portfolio. You will creat a portfolio that documents your growth and progress and augments your professional credentials.
Highly successful job placement program. Westminster education graduates are in demand!
Majors, Minors, and certificate programs
Undergraduate teacher education programs:
- Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education (leads to Utah licensure for grades K-6)
- Bachelor of Arts in Special Education (leads to Utah licensure in mild/moderate special education for grades K-12)
Minors and Certificates
- Secondary Education Certificate awarded in combination with designated undergraduate majors (leads to Utah licensure for grades 6-12)
- Minor/license in Special education (this program is also an area of specialization in the Master of Education program)
- Minor/endorsement in English as a Second Language (this program is also an area of specialization in the Master of Education program)
Graduate degree programs
- Adult Learning Certificate and Master of Education (ALC MED)
- Master of Arts in Community Leadership and Certificate in Community Leadership
- Master of Arts in Teaching for students with a bachelors degree who wish to earn a teaching license.
- Master of Education, with endorsements in Special Education, English as a Second Language, Reading, Advance Reading, and Distance Learning.
The teacher education programs at Westminster College are accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council.