Westminster Chamber Singers Auditions
I. When & Where
- 2013-2014 Academic school year audition dates: August 20 (returning members), 21.
- Sign-up for an audition time at the Music Office in the Jewett Center (EEJC). Sign up sheet will be posted one week prior to first audition date (August 16, 2013). Contact Christy Peterson at 801.832.2456 or Racquel Cornali at 801.832.2458 with any questions.
Arrive 15 minutes early to complete the Audition Form and to rehearse with an accompanist.
Please vocalize and be completely warmed-up prior to your audition. Practice rooms are available at the Music and Theatre Box Office.
II. What to Prepare
- Solo Selection: bring two songs of your choice (any genre) that require piano accompaniment. Dr. Quinn will choose one song to be sung.
- Familiar Song: Sing unaccompanied the first verse of “Amazing Grace” or "America the Beautiful."
III. Vocal Exercises
- Dr. Quinn will have you sing a series of vocal exercises. He will be listening to your voice with several things in mind, including: range; a free beautiful tone; proper breathing technique; excellent pitch; vowel clarity; steady vibrato; and good volume.
IV. Musicianship Skills
- Sight-sing 4-8 measures of an unfamiliar song (supplied at audition).
- Clap and count an unfamiliar song (supplied at audition).
- Sing a major scale upon request.
V. Repertoire suggestions
- In an audition, it is extremely important to choose a song that you truly love and one that you can sing expressively. Choose a song that you connect with and that will display a little of your personality.
- Choose a song that highlights the beauty of your voice.
- Choose songs that show your vocal range and ability. For example if you are auditioning as a soprano, sing a song in the soprano range.