Westminster's Information Commons
Located in the Giovale Library, Westminster's Information Commons is a specially designed space where students can work on group projects with technology, meet with faculty, build their writing skills, access library resources, and enjoy food and drink without leaving campus.
The Information Commons is a center for Westminster students and faculty to engage in collaboration, discussion, active learning, and lively debate. It integrates the services and support of librarians, information technologists, instructional technologists, and writing center staff to serve student and faculty needs in one centralized location.
Services and Facilities
The Information Commons includes:
- Easy access to staff knowledgeable in answering both research and technology questions
- The Writing Center, a place where all Westminster students can receive assistance with composition
- 14 specially designed collaborative desks, each with a networked computer, extra power- and data-ports for laptop computers, and room to accommodate groups of three to five students
- two multimedia workstations where students can create and edit multimedia using high-end equipment and computers
- a cafe serving coffee, soft drinks, and a variety of pastries and snacks
- wireless networking access
- general computing lab with 50 workstations and Lab Staff
- study rooms and carrels
- quiet study areas
What Students are Saying
In a recent survey, some patrons of the Westminster Information Commons told us:
"I love the Writing Center, the cafe and the additional computers for use that have been recently added in the basement. Our library is awesome."
"The new group work stations are great!"
"I enjoy studying at the Giovale Library--keep up the excellent work! "
"I am very happy to have the library as a place to study, do research, as well as the work stations. I use the library everyday and find it a convenient to have for my use. I do not have the Internet at home because I know I have everything here I need, especially on a tight budget. I rate the library and faculty as excellent!"