Community Education - Spring 2014
|Level 1 Avalanche Certification|
This class is designed for beginner to advanced skiers and snowboarders. Classes are divided based on current abilities. Full area lift passes are included on the days classes are held. The course includes instruction on safety, technique, and winter sports fitness. Students are responsible for providing their own equipment. (NOTE: Many ski/snowboard shops provide seasonal rental equipment.). Register online HERE.
- Cost: $282
- Fridays, February 7, 14, 21, 28, March 7, 14, 21, 28
- 10:30 - 12:45 AM
- Location: Brighton Ski and Snowboard Resort
- Registration Deadline: Thursday, January 30, 2014
This course teaches participants the knowledge and skills needed to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. The course content and activities prepare participants to recognize and respond quickly and effectively to emergencies and prevent drowning and injuries. Upon successful completion of the requirements of the course the student will receive their American Red Cross Lifeguarding and First Aid certification along with their CPR/AED for Lifeguard certification. Register online HERE.
Course Prerequisite: The course prerequisites will be tested on the first day. In order to be eligible for American Red Cross Certification the Prerequisites must be passed. Minimum age to attend the class at Westminster College is 17 years of age.
- Cost: $175
- Thursday, March 6, 20, 27, April 3, 10, and 17 and Saturday, March 8 and 22
- Thursdays, 6 - 10 pm and Saturdays, 9 am - 4 pm
- Location: Eccles Health, Wellness, and Athletic Center and Dive Utah (4679 South 2225 East)
This is perfect for any one who would like to begin a yoga practice or move deeper into their existing yoga practice. We will focus on the 8 limbs of yoga—including postures, breathing, meditation, chanting, etc. The teacher, Jacqueline Morasco, has been teaching yoga in SL for over ten years and has a special interest in making the practice as individualized as can be. She likes to take a gentle approach while strengthening and stretching the body, mind and breathe. Register online HERE.
- Cost: $70 each session
- Session 1: Saturdays, January 11 - March 1 (no class on February 8)
- Session 2: Saturdays, March 8 - April 26 (no class on April 19)
- 9:30 - 11:00 AM
- Location: Westminster College, Eccles Health Wellness, and Athletic Center Studio
- Min. # of students: 8, Max # of students: 20
- Drop-ins will be welcome after the minimum has been met: Drop In Rate: $12.00 per class
- Registration Deadline: January 10 for Session 1 and March 7 for Session 2
Beginning Scuba Diving is designed to introduce students to the joy and excitement of scuba diving. Through home study, class sessions and pool sessions, you will learn the essential information to scuba dive safely in a swimming pool. After the initial classes at Dive Utah, you can choose to complete Open Water training at the Homestead Crater in Midway and complete your PADI Open Water Diver certification. This prestigious certification is internationally recognized and will allow you a lifetime of scuba enjoyment. Fees include classroom and pool instruction, texts, scuba gear rental, open water instruction, and Homestead Crater entry fees. Register online HERE.
- Cost: $399
- Class Orientation: Monday, January 6 from 6:30-7:30 PM, Location: Eccles HWAC Special Events Room (HWAC 206)
- Classes at Dive Utah January 13, 27, February 3, 10, 24, 6:30-10:00pm (Dive Utah, 4679 S 2225 E · Holladay, UT 84117)
- Additional Class at Homestead Crater - TBD
This class uses Middle Eastern Dance in a low impact cardio workout to stretch & strengthen muscles, especially core. It can help improve posture & increase concentration while having fun. This class encourages lifetime health/wellness. Register online HERE.
- Cost: $70
- Dates: Tuesdays, January 7 - April 22 (no class on January 21 and February 25)
- Time: 2 - 3:15 PM
- Place: Payne Gym Studio
This workshop will introduce participants to the skills and techniques they can use to create professional quality images documenting their wilderness adventures. Topics will include exposure control and light metering, the principles of composition, the qualities of natural light, and the philosophy and tradition of the artist in nature. The program will incorporate slide-illustrated lectures, group discussion, a field trip, and student feedback and critiques. No experience necessary. Contact Jonathan Duncan for class specific questions. Register online HERE.
- Cost: $95
- Dates: Wednesdays, March 5 - March 26
- Time: 6:00 - 8:45 PM
- Place: Eccles HWAC 352
- Minimum # Students: 5
- Maximum # Students: 20
This class is geared toward intermediate tappers who have a fair amount of previous experience or who have participated fully in at least 2 sessions at Westminster. This class will dive deeper into technique, rhythm, and more complicated patterns & combinations. Students must provide their own shoes, which can be found at serveral stores around the valley and online. Register online HERE.
- Cost: $96
- Dates: Thursdays, January 16th - April 17th (no class on February 6th and 27th)
- Time: 12:00 - 1:00 PM
- Place: Payne Gym Studio
- Minimum # Students: 4
For details on this class please click the following link to the Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership page. CLASS DETAILS & REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Workout with Jacki Sorensen's Fitness class. We combine stretching, flexibility, corework, weight training and aerobic exercise into each class. Jacki's classes use upbeat and motivating music. Participate at your own level. Enjoy a safe, effective approach to fitness.
Jackie Sorensen Step Aerobics: Class format: Each class begins with a light cardiovascular routine. Without stopping you move on to a vertifirm exercises which gives you a complete workout that strengthens and firms your upper and lower body. Use of hand weights are optional during this segment of class. You continue with corework, abdominal exercises and pushups. Next is the cardiovascular segment of class to shape up your heart and give you more energy. Finish class with a cooldown to lower your heartrate and leave you feeling great about all you've accomplished in one hour. Register online HERE.
Jackie Sorensen Dance Aerobics: Jacki Sorensen's aerobic dancing combines stretching, corework, weight training, and aerobic exercise into each class. All routines are carefully choreographed and fit the mood of the music. Come have fun while you slim. Register online HERE.
- Cost: Step Aerobics, $85
- Cost: Dance Aerobics, $170
- Save $20.00 by signing up for all 3 classes for $235
- Dates: Step Aerobics, Saturdays, January 11 - May 3, 8:15 - 9:15 AM
- Dates: Dance Aerobics, Tuesdays & Thursdays, January 7 - May 1, 5:30 - 6:30 PM
- Place: Payne Gym Studio
- Minimum # of Students: 4
- Drop-ins will be welcome after the minimum has been met. Drop In Rate: $7.00 per class
- Dates: January 17 - 19, Friday - Sunday.
- Times: 8 am - 5 pm
- Place: Classroom work to be done at Westminster College
- Cost: $188