How to Obtain Your State of Utah Student Teacher License
As soon as you have been approved by the education faculty to student teach, you need to apply for a Student Teaching License through the Utah State Office of Education website.
Note: While specific directions may change slightly as changes are made to the Utah.gov website, general instructions are still accurate and should successfully navigate you through the licensure process.
Things you will need:
Social Security Number
$25.00 fee payable only by credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
- Go to the website: www.schools.utah.gov/
- To the right of the page under "Popular Links", click "Licensure Renewal".
- Click the button labeled: “Student Teacher/Intern Licenses”. This will open the page, “Start Your Student License".
- Enter the information requested on each page, clicking, "Continue", to get to the next.
If you fail to be taken to the “Verify Your Records” page, you may receive one of the following messages:
“Authentication Failed” Your authentication information was inserted incorrectly or not found.
“Our records indicate that you already have a current student license…”
“We were unable to locate your record or a current background check in the USOE database.”
“Your background check has expired.”
In this case, follow the given directions and contact:
Utah State Office of Education
250 East 500 South, P.O. Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200
- On the “Verify Your Records” page, verify the information shown is correct. (If not, you’ll have the opportunity to update the information on the next screen.) Check the box at the bottom indicating that you agree to the terms given.
- Continue to the, “Contact Information" page. This page will display your personal information. If necessary, click the “Edit” button to correct the information. Click the “continue” button. This will open the page: “Student Licensing Additional Questions". You must click the “yes” or “no” button for each question and check the verification box, stating you answered the questions correctly.
- Continue to the, “License Record Renewal Fee Summary” page, stating your name and requesting the license fee of $25.00.
- Continue to the, “Payment Information” page. Insert all required credit card information. (Address must be the mailing address associated with the credit card used.)
- Continue to the, “Payment Verification" page. Assure the information is correct and click the “continue” button. NOTE: It may take several seconds to process your payment, so please be patient. Do not click the “close,” or “page back” buttons while payment is processing. Once payment is processed you will automatically be taken to the page, “Transaction Successfully Completed.” This page will have a summary of your transaction.
- Click the “Print License” button and your license will print. Take one copy to the SOE Director of Field Placement, Char Shepard. Always keep a copy for your own records.