A private comprehensive liberal arts college in Salt Lake City, UT, offering undergraduate and graduate degrees in liberal arts and professional programs. Website
Environmental Studies Independent Research Grants

Environmental Studies Independent Research Grant

Number of Awards: 2 (contingent upon funding availability)

Description: Stipend for independent summer research guided by a Westminster faculty member.

Award Amount: $1500 stipend per award

Eligibility: Typically awarded to Environmental Humanities or Civic Environmental majors.

Expectations: Award recipients will present findings on campus during the fall semester after receiving the award.   

Application Process: 

Fill out an application online here.

Applicants should submit

  • Resume, including GPA
  • 2-3 page project proposal
  • 500 word personal statement explaining why you want to do the project, and why you are the one to make it succeed
  • A letter of support from faculty sponsor (see details below)
  • Funding will be contingent upon obtaining appropriate IRB if you're using human subjects

 Application Deadline:  March 31, 2016

 For Faculty Mentors  

The Environmental Studies Independent Summer Research Grant program supports students in summer research projects of their own design and execution. As a faculty referee you are not expected to assist directly with this summer research, but we do hope that you are willing to give guidance, as needed, for this project. The student will report progress to you during the summer;  as such, you and the student, as well as the nature of the project, should determine the number and frequency of these reports. We ask that you also meet with the student once at the beginning of fall semester.

Please describe the capabilities of the student applicant, the significance of the proposed project, and the likelihood of its being completed over the summer. 

In addition, please describe your faculty responsibilities and activities related to this project. This section will be used to determine faculty stipend.

Faculty can submit the application online here.