USSA-Westminster Fast Facts
Westminster College and U.S. Ski & Snowboard Team Partnership
- The agreement has been in place for nine years (since 2005) and was renewed last fall for two years. The current contract is set to expire June 30, 2015.
- Once an athlete is named to the U.S. Ski or Snowboard Teams (A-C Teams), the college will provide a tuition grant that covers the full cost of tuition, excluding fees, until they complete either an undergraduate or graduate degree. To qualify they must be enrolled in at least one class while on the team. There is a 3-year time limit imposed on the athlete to complete their degree after they retire.
- Westminster will contribute up to 600 credit hours per academic year. This equates to about $750,000 per year, at current tuition rates.
- In exchange, USSA will provide Westminster with marketing and media exposure.
Benefits to USSA & U.S. Ski & Snowboard Team Athletes
- World–class athletes do not have to choose between competing and their education.
- Since fall 2005, 133 athletes have enrolled for a total of 4,699 credit hours. Over the past nine years, Westminster’s contribution to USSA has totaled $4,471,265.
- Last academic year, we contributed $692,329 in tuition benefits for a total of 675 credit hours.
Benefits to Westminster
- Having world-class athletes interacting with other Westminster students, inside and outside the classroom, adds a special vitality to our educational environment.
- We look forward to the media and marketing exposure Westminster will receive as a result of our partnership with USSA.
- We had 23 student athletes compete in the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi. Current students won 2 Gold’s, 1 Silver, and 1 Bronze medal. Graduates and alumni won an additional 4 medals. If we were a country we would have placed 12th overall in the medals count.
- We currently have 36 athletes and alumni taking 414 credits in the Fall 2014 semester. This is the largest Fall enrollment ever. Last academic year (2013-14) we had a total of 58 athletes take classes. The average GPA for all Westminster-U.S. Ski & Snowboard Team students is 3.55.
- 16 athletes have graduated from Westminster so far and 18 athletes have transferred to another college or university. There are another 7 athletes on track to graduate in May 2015.