Not sure if your research proposal requires IRB approval?
Individuals wishing to have a research proposal reviewed by the IRB should follow the Decision Tree to determine whether IRB approval is necessary, and if so, whether the activity requires expedited or full IRB review.
IRB Decision Tree
- If the research is a non-reviewed activity, no action is required.
- If the research qualifies for an exemption, submit a full proposal (without a literature review) and one typed original of Form G to the IRB.
- If the research qualifies for an expedited review, submit a full proposal (including Forms A-F) to the IRB by email.
- If the research requires a full board review, submit a full proposal (including Forms A-F) to the IRB by email.
- If you have questions about which category applies to your project, please contact the IRB chair.
Proposal deadlines for summer 2016 and fall 2016 are to be determined. At this time, we are no longer accepting proposals for summer 2016. Please submit your applications as Word or PDF files in an email to the IRB at firstname.lastname@example.org
Form A: Research Proposal Format
Form B: Consent Form (Adults)
Form C: Short Consent Form (Adults)
Form D: Parent/Guardian Permission Form
Form E: Assent Form for Minors
Form F: IRB Approval Notification Form
Form G: Notification to IRB of Exempt Research Activities
All Forms (Forms A-G and Appendices) in one Word document
Appendix: Examples of Risk and Minimal Risk
Appendices: Charts 1 and 2 for Identifying Exempt Research
Questions should be directed to current chair of the IRB.
Sheryl Steadman (IRB Chair)