Register for An Internship
Log internship hours
Eligibility and Requirements
Which majors require an internship?
All Gore School of Business majors and Arts Administration and Communication majors, other majors in Arts and Sciences, and Public Health may choose to do an internship for credit—contact the Career Center or your academic advisor for additional information.
Am I eligible to do an internship? You are if you have:
- 60 college credits completed. Transfer and MBA students must have completed at least 15 hours at Westminster
- 2.5 GPA or better (3.0 for MBA students)
- Some courses in your major or minor completed
How do I find an internship?
A student must secure an internship before registering for course credit. Internship possibilities include working at most types of organizations including private businesses, non-profits, and for the government. You can intern anywhere in the world.
There are many ways to identify and secure an internship. You may consider utilizing one or more of the following resources to help you secure your internship:
Internship postings available through the Career Center
The Career Center receives internship postings each day. These are posted on Handshake.
Assistance from members of the Career Center staff
Make an appointment by calling 801-832-2590 to receive individual assistance in identifying potential internship opportunities and leads.
Your current job
You may complete an internship at your current place of employment, but you must be given new responsibilities or duties which translate to professional, meaningful work in your field of study.
Check these sources for internship opportunities related to your field.
Friends, professors, relatives, new connections
Networking, including LinkedIn, is an excellent means of identifying internship opportunities.
**Please note: Before you register for an internship, review your schedule with your Advisor to ensure you are on track to graduate. They can help you determine the right number of credits for your internship.
Internship registration is easy. Before you begin the registration process you will need to be able to answer the questions below.
- How many credits should I register for this semester?
- You will receive 1 credit for every 42 hours worked.
- Business majors are required to complete at least 2 credits.
- Depending upon your major, you can receive from 1 to 8 credits per semester. Work with your academic advisor to determine how many credits to sign up for.
- Internships for credit are not available during the May Term.
- Internship credit hours are billed at the same rate as other courses.
- Who is my Faculty Coordinator?
For Gore School of Business majors your Faculty Coordinator is the individual who is teaching the course (BUSI 440). You will complete an online course as part of the academic requirements of your internship. You can review the course description and the Faculty Coordinator in Self-Service under the course number.
For all other majors, you will work with a full-time faculty member you select from your department. Ask a faculty member if they want to be your internship coordinator or talk to your advisor. This person will approve your internship for your major department and will be the one to grade your assignments. You should meet with, or speak with, the coordinator before registering so they can approve your internship. Be sure they are aware that they will receive a notification, via email, to approve your registration.
- What information will I need for my internship?
- Organization Name
- Organization Address
- Supervisor Name, phone #, and email address (it is very important to get a correct email so that the registration can be completed)
- A copy of your resume to upload
- Your Learning Objectives
Register for An Internship
Responsibilities, Policies, and Forms
Informed Consent, Assumption of Risk, and Release of Liability
Internship Program Policies