The Westminster College Campus Fire Marshal provides assistance and guidance to the campus community (faculty, staff, students, and guests) for fire and life safety matters. The Campus Fire Marshal provides interpretations of fire safety regulations and
assists with compliance with these requirements.
Please call 801.832.2529 with questions or to request services.
- Never exceed building, stadium, auditorium, theater and other assembly occupancy limits. Sit in designated seats and keep all belongings and other objects out of the aisles.
- Emergency exits must be kept clear of obstructions at all times, and exit doors must be capable of being operated without keys, tools, or special knowledge.
- Stay aware of the nearest, safest emergency evacuation routes. Consult building evacuation maps and look for emergency exit signs.
- Contact Disability Services at 801.832.2272 with any questions regarding accessible emergency exit routes or individual emergency evacuation planning for individuals with disabilities.
- Be aware of electrical safety issues. Do not overload extension cords, power strips, surge protectors, or multi-outlet adapters.
- Power strips, surge protectors, and extension cords must be plugged directly into wall outlets. They may not be “daisy-chained,” or plugged into each other in series.
- Plug electrical equipment directly into wall outlets.
- Tampering or modifying fire alarm systems, sprinkler systems, or other components of building fire protection systems is prohibited. Contact the Campus Fire Marshal at 801-832-2529 for consultation if any modifications may be necessary.
- Fire sprinkler heads and sprinkler pipes may not be painted, or used to hang any objects, decorations, or materials.
- Smoking (including the use of e-cigarettes, vaping devices, and hookah) is prohibited in all campus buildings, and must take place outside at least 25 feet away from any building entrance.
- Building inspections are an evaluation of campus facilities according to code and other regulatory requirements. These are conducted periodically by the Campus Fire Marshal, who provides recommended corrective actions for any identified issues.
- Contact the Campus Fire Marshal at 801.832.2529 to request an inspection or consultation.
The following activities are listed as approved exceptions to this policy, and do not require prior approval from the Campus Fire Marshal:
- Commercial cooking in designated food preparations areas, within compliance with applicable standards.
- Outdoor cooking devices provided by the College as part of a College-approved event.
- Heating devices used by Dining Services and approved service providers.
- Supervised open flame burners used in approved College laboratory settings.
- Hot Work conducted according to College policy and procedure.
- Designated grill areas on campus.
- Grills must have 10 feet of clearance from trees and overhead branches or building roofs.
- Coals/ashes must be contained in the grill.
- Coals/ashes must be completely extinguished, wrapped in aluminum foil, and deposited in a trash receptacle
Open Flame Policy Variance Request
Requests for variance to the open flame policy must be submitted to the Campus Fire Marshal at least 7 days prior to the planned event, and include all of the information required on Open Flame Fire Policy Variance Approval Form. At minimum, the form must include:
- Date and location of the event
- Name(s) of the responsible individual(s), and their contact information
- A description of the event, including start and stop time, venue, layout, and whether it is open or closed attendance
- Designated event supervisor(s) – must be faculty or staff members, NOT students
To request an exception to the open flame policy for an event, complete the Open Flame Policy Variance Request Form.