Register for Classes

Please Note

  • New first-year and transfer undergraduate students register for classes in person at the Start Center. New graduate students and those in competency-based learning programs register as part of their enrollment process.
  • Undergraduate students are required to declare a major before they reach junior status or they will be prevented from registering for future terms until this process is completed.
  • Continuing students can register on their registration date after adding specific courses to their online plan for graduation.

How To Register

Planning and Registration Tutorial

Registration Dates

  • October 24, 2017: Seniors (90+ credits) and Juniors (60–89 credits) may register for 2018 May Term Study Experience (MTSE) courses
  • October 25, 2017: Sophomores (28–59 credits) and First Year students (less than 28 credits) may register for 2018 May Term Study Experience (MTSE)
  • November 6, 2017: Graduates and Seniors (90+ credits) may register for Spring/May 2018
  • November 7, 2017: Juniors (60–89 credits) may register for Spring/May 2018
  • November 8, 2017: Sophomores (28–59 credits) may register for Spring/May 2018
  • November 9, 2017: First-year continuing students (less than 28 credits) may register for Spring/May 2018

Register Online

Students may elect to take a maximum of two courses that would normally require letter grades on a credit/no credit basis. Courses taken in this way may not be applied to majors or minors. Students who declare a major or minor in a given subject after having taken a course in that subject on a credit/no credit basis may be required by their major or minor department to retake the course for a letter grade.

There are no limits on Westminster courses that are offered exclusively on a credit/no credit basis, and, when they occur in majors or minors, they may be used in those majors or minors.

Students who take courses credit/no credit must perform work at the level of C- or higher to receive credit. Grades of credit/no credit are not included in GPA calculations.

To elect the credit/no credit option, you need to fill out the form available in the Registrar's Office (Bamberger Hall, second floor) and leave it in our office. Because students have approximately seven weeks to make this decision, there are no exceptions to the deadline and forms will not be accepted past the deadline. The credit-no credit option may not be changed after the deadline, except in cases where students change majors or minors and the major or minor department does not require that the course be taken again for a letter grade.

Please check the Academic Calendar to learn deadlines for electing a class Credit/No Credit.

For regular, full-semester courses, students may withdraw from class through the eleventh week of class. Students who withdraw after the end of the first full week receive a grade of W, which does not affect GPA. Students who withdraw after the eleventh week receive a grade of WF, which is calculated as an F in the GPA. The dates for W and WF deadlines are posted in the Academic Calendar. For classes with irregular meeting dates, please refer to the table below.

In case of illness or injury, family members may complete the student withdrawal from the college. In case of duress or special need, an administrative withdrawal may be initiated by the Dean of Students.

Students who fail to withdraw from courses they have not attended are liable for all tuition and interest charged to their accounts. Grades of F are assigned at the end of the semester for any classes that students fail to drop.

Session TypeDeadlineWithdrawal Grade
2-Day SessionsAfter 1st SessionWF
3-Day SessionsAfter 1st SessionW
After 2nd SessionWF
4-Day SessionsAfter 1st SessionW
After 2nd SessionW
After 3rd SessionWF
6-Day SessionsAfter 1st SessionNo W
After 2nd SessionW
After 3rd SessionW
After 4th SessionWF
After 5th SessionWF
7-Day SessionsAfter 1st SessionNo W
After 2nd SessionW
After 3rd SessionW
After 4th SessionWF
After 5th SessionWF
After 6th SessionWF
Unusual or Extenuating Circumstances

Students sometimes face unusual or extenuating circumstances that prevent them from finishing a course or semester or otherwise complying with institutional deadlines. A Review Committee meets monthly to examine petitions made by students regarding retroactive record changes (e.g. medical withdrawal) and/or full or partial charges of tuition and fees. A student's petition, which includes a detailed letter and appropriate documentation of the unusual or extenuating circumstances, can be submitted to the Registrar's Office (Bamberger Hall, Upper Floor or All petitions must be submitted within six weeks after the end of the semester in question. Absent serious extenuating circumstances, requests submitted beyond six weeks after the end of the semester will not be considered. Because tuition insurance is recommended, petitions for removal of tuition charges are rarely approved even if the committee decides to approve a change to the academic record. If a petition for refund is granted, changes will be made retroactive only to the last date of attendance, and tuition charges will be adjusted according to Westminster College's posted refund schedule found on the Student Account Services webpage. Reevaluation by the student's physician or counselor may be required prior to re-enrollment.

Following these guidelines, the Review Committee will either approve or deny all petitions. A student who thinks there has been unfair bias or encountered a procedural error made by this committee may appeal it in writing within ten calendar days to an Appeals Committee chaired by the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The decision reached by this committee is final.

NOTE:The Review Committee cannot change rules regarding the amount of federal financial aid that must be returned when a student does not fulfill program requirements. Students are encouraged to read "Withdrawing and Its Effect on Financial Aid" section in the academic catalog ( and call or visit the Financial Aid Office to determine specific implications for anticipated registration changes. In many cases, if a student withdraws from classes both the federal and institutional financial aid award may be adjusted and all unpaid tuition resulting from the cancellation will become due immediately.

Students may elect to audit courses at Westminster according to the guidelines listed below. Courses that are entered on students' permanent records as audited (AU) earn no credit and fulfill no requirements.

Regular Audit

Students may register for a regular audit (one-half of credit tuition) according to the following guidelines:

  • Subject to space availability, students may sign up to audit a class on the first day of class.
  • Students wishing to audit an activity course such as a physical education, art, theater, writing, or computer science course must obtain written permission from the instructor.
  • Only students accepted to Masters degree programs may audit graduate classes.
  • Students who are not nursing majors may audit nursing courses with permission of the instructor.
  • The audit technology fee of $50 will apply to classes being audited.
Alumni Audit

Students who graduated from Westminster—and who are not currently pursuing a degree—may request an alum audit according to the following guidelines:

  • Alums must apply through the Alumni Relations Office.
  • Alums will not be added to waitlists when a course is considered full.
  • Alum-audit applications must be received at least two business days before the first day of the semester.
  • Students currently pursuing a graduate degree may not participate in the Alum Audit program for an undergraduate course while taking classes at the graduate level.
  • Students wishing to participate in the Alum Audit program are required to adhere to all college deadlines for withdrawal and payment of tuition and fees. Students who fail to withdraw will be charged accordingly.
  • Not all classes are eligible for alum audits. For example, it is not possible to take music lessons or independent art courses at the alum-audit rate due to the costs of hiring instructors.
  • Only students with graduate-level degrees from Westminster College may choose to audit a graduate-level course. The following programs will allow alums to audit courses in their programs:
    • Master of Education (MED)
    • Master of Community Leadership (MACL)
    • Master of Public Health (MPH)
    • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
    • Master of Business Administration in Technology Commercialization (MBATC)
    • Master of Accountancy (MACC)

To search course offerings, select Search Sections (webadv). Please do not register for an alum audit through WebAdvisor or you will be billed for regular tuition.