- Westminster sends over 750,000 pounds of garbage to the landfill every year
- About 50% of items thrown away as trash could be recycled instead
- In their lifetime, an average American will throw away 600 times their own body weight, which results in approximately 90,000 pounds of trash
Better recycling by students, faculty, and staff will dramatically reduce the amount we send to the landfill.
- Choose reusable dishes and silverware in Shaw
- Buy products with minimal packaging
- Paper printed on only one side as scrap paper (pick up a scrap pad in Walker I)
- Old clothing as cleaning cloths instead of buying paper towels
- All plastics, paper, and aluminum in blue bins on campus
- Glass at Shaw
Remember, recycling is the last step in reduce, reuse, recycle. Find ways to reduce and reuse before you recycle.
Request a Recycling Bin
Do your part to reduce our waste.
Request a Small Recycling Bin
Small recycling bins are available for residence hall rooms and offices on campus. It is your responsibility to empty these bins into one of the larger collection bins in your building. Individual bins will not be collected by Westminster custodial services. Residence hall bins should be left in your room at the end of the year. Faculty and staff may keep their bins as long as needed.
What Can I Recycle on Campus?
Recycling on campus is co-mingled, meaning everything goes into one bin—no need to sort!
|Yes, these items can go in campus recycling bins
||No, these items cannot go in campus recycling bins
- Plastics #1–7
- Aluminum foil & cans
- Cereal and pizza boxes
- Office paper
- Steel cans
- Plastic grocery bags
- Paper towel tubes
- Plastic coated cartons
- Junk mail
- Phone books
- Shoe boxes
- Coffee sleeves and lids
- Food and food wrappers
- Paper towels, napkins, or tissues
- Used paper plates
- Coffe and soda to-go cups
- Yard waste
- Candy wrappers
- Foil-lined boxes
- Wax paper
- Batteries and Electronics
- Hazardous materials
Glass can be recycled at the South entrance of Shaw. Batteries and cell phones can be recycled at the recyling center the north entrance of Shaw.
Larger electronic recycling collection is on Earth Day, April 22nd.
Campus Recycling Locations
Westminster College provides recycling collection bins in every building on campus.