The flagship and first building on campus, Converse was originally built as a multipurpose administration and classroom building with funding from John H. Converse, a wealthy Presbyterian businessman in Philadelphia and then-president of Baldwin Locomotive Works. The cornerstone was laid August 23, 1906 under the presidency of Rev. Robert M. Stevenson (1905–1912) and it was completed July 1907, though not actually occupied for another two years due to a lack of funding for a heating system, furniture, or boarding facilities for students.
Converse was renovated under President Charles H. Dick (1985–1995) and then re-dedicated on Sept. 19, 1989 as part of the Jewett Center for the Arts and Humanities. Today, Converse Hall includes art studios, a modern media facility, the Admissions Office, and a lounge overlooking Tanner Plaza
The easiest accessible approach to Converse is from the southwest side.