Students at Climate Change Rally Website

Frequently Asked Recycling Questions

If you don't find your answer here, please email the Environmental Center at

Can I recycle glass on campus?
The infrastructure for glass recycling in Salt Lake is poor.  There are few end users, and glass is expensive to ship out of state.  So, glass CANNOT be recycled in regular campus blue bins. There are only two glass recycling locations on campus, in Shaw at the recycling station (north side), and the other main entrance to Shaw (south side).  You can take your glass from home recycling to drop sites located around Salt Lake City: Please do NOT bring your home glass recycling to campus.  It is expensive for the college to recycle but free for you to drop it at a city site.

Can greasy pizza boxes actually be recycled?
According to Allied Waste who handles Westminster's recycling, greasy pizza boxes can be put into the recycling. Other food containers do not have to be completely clean of food before placing them in the bin, a little residual food will be removed as part of the regular cleaning and sorting process.

Why can't I recycle candy wrappers?
It depends on the candy wrapper.  Some candy wrappers are made with #3 plastic, which is more difficult to process than #1 and #2 plastics, and therefore many recycling plants won't accept them.  Other candy wrappers are somewhere in between recyclable plastic and paper/foil, and because of their materials they are difficult to process correctly.  Instead of throwing away candy wrappers, however, consider doing something creative with them (like making candy wrapper bracelets 

Why aren't there recycling bins in every classroom?
Westminster does not have the staff required to collect recycling from every room.  Also, bins located in rooms are some of the most contaminated (meaning people put non-recyclable items in them).  There are recycling bins centrally located on every floor in every building on campus.

Where can I get a bin for my room or office?
You can request a recycling bin online.  Then, either come pick it up at the Environmental Center when you receive an e-mail saying it is in, or it can be delivered to you.

What do I do with the bin in my residence hall room/suite at the end of the year?
Leave your bin in your res hall room, and it will be collected at the end of the year. 

Can I recycle electronic waste on campus?
While Westminster pays to recycle all campus owned e-waste with a responsible local company, we do not have the secured storage or funds required for ongoing collection of personal e-waste.  We offer annual collection events at Earth Day each April, or you can contact the SLCgreen to find out if any collection events are scheduled around the community. 

What hazardous waste do I produce and where can I properly dispose of it?
Household hazardous waste may include:
   Transmission fluid
   Fluorescent light tubes
   Compact fluorescent light bulbs
   Electronic Waste
   Other chemicals

Household hazardous waste from Salt Lake County homes only may be dropped off for free at:

Salt Lake Valley Solid Waste Management Facility
6030 West California Avenue (1400 South)
Monday - Saturday
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Trans-Jordan Landfill Facility
10873 S. 7200 W Hwy U-111, South Jordan
Monday - Saturday
8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

(Antifreeze, Batteries, Oil and Paint ONLY)
4646 South 500 West
Monday - Friday
7:00 AM - 3:00 PM

For more hazardous and unusual waste collection facilities, visit our Recycling the Unusual page.