As a student, you have access to download and install the full Microsoft Office suite on up to 5 devices. The suite includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote, Access, Publisher, Outlook, and InfoPath. This QuickTip tells you how to access and install Office.
How to Install Microsoft Office 365
- Navigate to myWestminster > Email and log in.
- On the top toolbar, select the gear > Office 365 Settings
- On the left sidebar, select Software midway down the page, select Install to download the necessary file.
- Install as usual.
From this page, you may also see how many installations you have left, and deactivate any previous installations.
- This is a subscription service and is only available to students that are currently enrolled. Once you graduate or leave the college, your subscription will end, and you will no longer be able to access the software.
- If you install Office 365 on a multi-user computer, all users will have access to the software.
- If you currently have a full version (current or previous) of Microsoft Office, your previous software should not be affected by the installation or uninstallation of Office Pro Plus; they may run concurrently, although Office Pro Plus will become the default program.
- If you do not want to install the subscription version of Office and have a previous version (2007, 2010), you may still set Office up to Sync with your OneDrive account. You can do this on the Software menu be selecting Desktop Setup on the sidebar.
Using Office Online
Office online gives all Westminster students, staff, and faculty access to an online version of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneNote. Office online allowing cloud storage, sharing documents, and concurrent revisions from other contributors (similar to Google Docs). Since Office Online is a web browser application, you can access it from most devices, as long as you have an internet connection. There is no need to save changes, as they are automatically saved in your OneDrive. You can also download a copy of your file in a traditional Microsoft Office format, as well as a PDF.
Although functionality is similar to the desktop versions of this software, not all features are available in the online version. If you are a student and would like access to a full version of Microsoft Office 365, please click here.
Accessing Office Online
- Log into your Westminster email account.
- Select the grid from the top toolbar, and choose OneDrive. This is where all of your files will be stored.
- Select +new, and from this menu, you can select what type of file you would like to create.
- You can also select Word, Excel, Powerpoint or OneNote Online from the grid, and begin a new file directly. Your file will be stored in OneDrive.
Once you are in a document, you can select Share in the top right corner, next to your name. Here, you have a few options:
Invite People: You can invite specific people (including the Westminster address book) to either view or edit the document. If you don’t want them to receive an email, you can select Show Options and uncheck the email invitation box.
Get a Link: If you don’t know the email addresses of the participants, or want to share it with many people (e.g., a class), you can get an open link. Anyone that has the link will either be able to view or edit the document, depending on your selection.
Shared With: If you did share the document with specific people, here is where you can view the contributors, edit permissions, or remove them entirely. You may also email everyone that has access.