May Term and Summer Study Experiences are a longstanding Westminster tradition, and many students look back on their Study Experience as the highlight of their time at Westminster. Designed to be cost-effective with maximum impact, they are a great short-term study abroad option for budget conscious students. Beginning in 2017, successful completion of any May Term or Summer Study Experience will fulfill the WCore Engaging the World requirement.
Who are they for?
Currently enrolled Westminster undergraduate students get priority to participate in May Term and Summer Study Experiences and register for one class worth 4 credits. Non-student guests who are over 18 years old can participate if space is available and the faculty leader gives permission. Non-student participants do not earn credits or pay tuition, but must pay the full advertised cost for trip expenses.
The Study Experiences are designed for students of all majors. The only requirement is that you are passionate about the subject or theme being explored during the Study Experience.
Check Out the Upcoming Study Experiences
The tuition charge for May Term is billed per credit hour. However, payment of full-time tuition (12+ credits) for Fall Semester 2016 earns two discounted credit hours for a May Term or Summer Study Experience in 2017. Payment of full-time tuition (12+credits) for Spring Semester 2017 earns two discounted credit hours for a May Term or Summer Study Experience in 2017. Students who have earned four discounted hours for May Term can apply that discount toward an on-campus May Term class (either 2 or 4 credits) or a May Term or Summer Study Experience. Therefore, students who apply 4 discounted hours towards the tuition of a May Term or Summer Study Experience will only pay the published travel expenses. Tuition costs are not included in the published cost of Study Experiences.
Visit this page for more information on May Term and Summer tuition.
A $300.00 non-refundable fee is required to reserve your spot. This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable and goes towards the trip expenses.
2017 Study Experience Registration Form
- Fill out the Study Experience Registration Form (available in late October). Don't forget to SELECT the class you want to register for, and sign the form. Registration for Study Experiences begins at 9:00 am on October 25, 2016 and continues until the Study Experience is full or January 31, 2017, whichever comes first. Registration is first-come first-served and priority is not given based on class standing.
- Take the completed registration form to the Cashier's window in Bamberger Hall and pay the $300 non-refundable deposit. You can pay by cash, check, electronic check, cashier’s check, and American Express, Discover, and MasterCard. The cashier’s does not accept Visa credit cards. The Cashier can be reached at (801) 832-2135.
- Bring your completed registration form to the International Center in Walker One.
Payment Schedule for all Study Experiences:
- $300 deposit due at the time of registration for the study experience (the deposit goes towards the trip expenses)
- 50% due by January 31, 2017
- Payment in full due by March 10, 2017 or date indicated on the course syllabus.