Payne Gymnasium

Payne GymnasiumPayne Gym is the home of the Westminster Griffins: men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, cross-country, men's soccer, and men's and women's golf. Built during the term of President Herbert W. Reherd (1913–1939), it was named after the president of the Board of Trustees and manager of the local J.C. Penney Company; groundbreaking was July 1928 and dedication January 11, 1929.

Though the college worried that it was frivolous to spend money on a gymnasium, the facility, designed by architect Walter E. Ware, provided needed recreation for the school and groups in the entire Sugar House area. It was added on to and remodeled in 1970 under President Manford Shaw (1968–1976), and has housed the basketball and volleyball programs, dances, speakers, luncheons, career fairs, orientations, and a variety of other cultural and social student events–including being the practice facility for the Utah Jazz from 1979 to May 1999!

ADA Compliancy

Elevator(s)/Lift(s): one, southeast
Reserved parking: east, East Jewett Center Parking Lot and west, first floor Main Parking Structure


Campus Scheduling
Conference & Event Services