Honors Program Study Abroad (Principia Consortium)
The Westminster College Honors Program now offers a unique study abroad opportunity in conjunction with the University of Glasgow, Scotland and the Principia Consortium. The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 and is an internationally recognized institution with prestigious programs in the sciences and humanities. The Honors semester at Glasgow University allows you to:
1. Complete an elective Honors seminar, "The Ideas and Influences of the Scottish Enlightenment: 18th to 21st Centuries."
The University of Glasgow has created a unique, interdisciplinary course for Principia students. Using major figures and ideas from the Scottish Enlightenment, Honors students will see how those ideas continue to be important in intellectual and cultural life in the 21st century. Interdisciplinary perspectives from art/aesthetics, religion, philosophy, politics/economics, and science will inform this course. The teaching approach is the traditional Oxbridge model of public lectures and small group seminars. Leading scholars will provide over-arching ideas in the public lectures, which are then further developed through discussion in small group seminars/tutorials. Cultural opportunities will also be made available in conjunction with the course. Westminster College Honors students can apply this work to the upper-division Honors credit requirement for the Honors degree.
2. Take an additional 2-3 courses in your major or minor.
The University of Glasgow has both breadth and depth in most undergraduate majors. Science and Pre-Med Honors students will have access to a sophisticated range of disciplines and courses. Fine and liberal arts majors as well as business will have an exciting variety of course options. All Honors at Glasgow students will have access to level 3 and some level 4 courses not usually available to other study abroad students.
3. Participate in unique opportunities:
- Chance to study at an internationally recognized university
- Special cultural immersion events for Honors students both inside and outside the classroom
- Possibility of service learning or internships
- Meet some of the 3,000 other international students from 24 countries around the world
- Meet and become friends with Honors students from our consortium member institutions in the U.S.
- Travel in the U.K. and the European continent
- Live in a different yet accessible culture
Westminster’s Honors program is part of a consortium of two dozen other private liberal arts colleges from across the United States whose Honors students will also be a part of the Honors at Glasgow semester program. Honors students may enroll either for fall or spring term. Internal application and subsequent Principia application deadlines (if your internal application is selected) are:
Fall Semester Study: Feb. 26 (internal application due) & May 1 (Principia application due)
Spring Semester Study: Sept. 1 (internal application due) & Oct. 20 (Principia application due)
Principia students pay their home institution tuition (to Westminster) and pay Glasgow for housing, which runs roughly commensurate with standard college housing costs. Federal financial aid can be used to assist with these fees as well as offset other study abroad related expenses. All Westminster Honors students in good standing who have completed at least three of the seven core Honors seminars prior to departure are eligible to apply, as long as their study abroad semester is not their final term of college. The Consortium also requires students to have a 3.5 GPA at the time of the study abroad experience.
For further assistance and/or questions about this program, contact:
- Richard Badenhausen, Director of Honors (x2460) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sara Demko, Director of Student International Services (x2825) email@example.com
For more information, see below:
- To learn more about Westminster student experiences at Glasgow, read Lauren Johnson's blog or Sara McCaskey's blog.
- To view the University of Glasgow Principia website, click here.
- To view the University of Glasgow International website, click here.
- For University of Glasgow's main website, click here.
- For Berry College's Principia Facebook discussion thread, click here.
- For Westminster College's Honors program internal application, click here.
- After completing Westminster's internal application and receiving approval from Westminster's Honors Director, click here for the Principia Consortium at Glasgow's application form.
For more detailed information about the University of Glasgow and Principia, contact:
- Rhona Gordon at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lena Pedersen Bees at email@example.com
- Colette McGowan, the Study Abroad coordinator at the University of Glasgow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**This is a busy office; if one person doesn't respond try another.